Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man’s Soul (Revised) by John Eldredge



John Eldredge in Wild at Heart argues that a desire for adventure has been knitted into the heart of everyman. He believes that everyman wishes to be the warrior, the adventurer, the knight, and the hero and that American culture, including the church, has attempted to suppress these God written desires of a man’s heart. Eldredge gives his reader permission to unlock those desires and unleash the wild man within them. Much of the focus in unlocking a man’s heart is the realization of a spiritual wounding, likely caused by a father figure and a establishment with of proper relationship with one’s heavenly father. By allowing men to return to their nature of wildness, Eldredge challenges his reader to participate in the great adventure that life and a relationship with God provide.

This is the revised edition of Wild at Heart, a book I have known of for several years. I had avoided it fearing Eldredge would challenge me to move into the woods for an extended period of drum playing and living off berries. I found that my reluctance to read Wild at Heart earlier to be a mistake. The text speaks to a man’s soul, with Eldredge hitting on themes such as the desire for adventure that resonates with everyman. Additionally, I have found that the content has led to other deep spiritual conversations with other men. In the end I find myself reflecting on The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Aslan is described as a safe but not tame lion. I find myself after reading Eldredge why have I allowed myself to become tamed and how to I return myself to the wild and give my son permission to never be tamed.
Review Copy provided by Thomas Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment